Monday, April 12, 2010

Comments on Administration and Supervision

It seems an impossible task to "teach" a group of aspiring administrators how to manage a learning organization. The class Administration and Supervision at Johns Hopkins not only accomplishes the task, but also helps students to work as teams so that they will be models of collaboration and learning communities. The structure of the course, which is organized around administrative teams with roles that parallel that of a school, helps to lend an authentic experience to the class that serves as a laboratory for experimenting with concepts and ideas.
The class emphasizes the many facets of school administration that make the role of a principal so difficult. It is a huge task just to keep thinking about all the considerations and stakeholders when planning and executing programs. The team organization helps me to be mindful of the various viewpoints that are brought to the table in each role within the school. This will better prepare me as an administrator because I know that everyone on the team takes a leadership role at various times and that one person cannot possibly accomplish everything.
I know that I need support in the political aspects of the organization regarding the stakeholders, especially the teachers. It is easy when the team is enthusiastic and professional like those members of our class, however, when there are team members who are not as enthusiastic or who are more interested in personal than team accomplishments, it is more difficult. I think that I have learned that the entire team can and should make those decisions and then take responsibility for the outcomes.
I have enjoyed working on my team. They are skilled and very collaborative. I would wish to be part of a real leadership team that is like this one! I have learned from the class and also from them. That is an aspect of the team that is exciting- learning from each other and our unique experiences!

No comments:

Post a Comment